"Let's kick cancer's booty and take some names."

LORD, after this suffering, let it be said that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, make my Savior clear to all those around me. Because of my suffering and willing perseverance, cause others to be encouraged to speak the Word of God more courageously and fearlessly.
(Phillippians 1:12-14)

About Me

God is walking with me. This I know.

Followers

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Another follow up visit

Hey everybody!
Let me say, again, how much I appreciate the prayers and cards and sweet messages I have received from you all. I am fully convinced that without God and you, I could not be getting through this journey as well as I am. Sometimes I think God just reaches out and pulls me through. Sometimes it's a very peaceful walk. And sometimes it hurts like yanking off a band-aid.

I had to explain to a few folks after my last post that the reason for this blog is for information. That includes ALL information. The good, the bad and the ugly. Some of you reading this may have to go through this one day or your wives or mothers or even some of you men may have to go through it. Therefore, I am not leaving anything out. It's gross at times. But I'm not sorry I'm sharing it. Plus.......it's my blog and I can put on here whatever I want. :)

Speaking of ripping off a band-aid........(WARNING: DO NOT READ THE NEXT FEW SENTENCES IF YOU ARE GROSSED OUT EASILY!) Dr. Cooper said the incision IS healing. It looks horrible. Even disgusting. It's still kinda green in some places and it bleeds and it's very tender. But it's healing. (Dr. Cooper's words: It might not look good to you, but it's doing just fine). For the next week I have to take cotton gauze and pat it to the bed of the incision and tape it down. The gauze needs to stick to the incision. Then at least 2 times a day (he said the more the better and the quicker it will heal) I have to take the gauze off. With that gauze comes dead tissue. And blood. And that's what he wants. He said this will actually help it heal. By the way, the part of the incision where it's infected is wide open. It's about 2 inches long and goes from top to bottom (not side to side) and it's raw. It's basically an open wound. Honestly, it doesn't hurt except around the edge where it's tender. Pulling off that blasted tape is the worst part.

I still can't schedule surgery yet. He wants to wait 1 more week to let the incision heal up some more. I go back next Wednesday.

At that time, I am also having a genetic test. There's something out there called a BRCA gene. If you have it, you are more likely to get breast and ovarian cancer. My gynecologist called me last week and said if I carry that gene, I am at greater risk for ovarian cancer and he will need to take my ovaries out. (It's called an oophorectomy). But we'll cross that bridge when.....well, you know.

GOOD NEWS: My cancer is the most common type (please don't ask me what it's called because I can't remember the exact name of it) and it's Stage 1A. He said anything below 1A is no cancer at all. That is VERY good news. It means it was caught very early.

Chemo: Yep. I still have to have it, even though the cancer was caught early. It's still cancer. And I still have it.

I'm taking this all in stride. It's a delay but it's not a major setback.

I'd like to thank Lyn Walker for the "Get Well Soon" tablets from Arbonne that she gave me last week. I'm feeling much better this week. Those antibiotics, along with the Get Well Soon seemed to shorten my sinus and ear infection quite a bit.

INSERT COMPLETELY RANDOM THOUGHT HERE: Is anybody else watching the World Cup? SPOILER ALERT: Uraguay just beat South Africa 3-0. Unless my World Cup knowledge is completely off base, looks like they'll be moving on to the next round.

That's about all I have for this week. Hope everyone has a great last part of June. More updates after next week's doctor visit. Good day everybody!




3 comments:

  1. Candy, your cancer is called intraductal carcinoma, I researched what he said, and when I came across the carcinoma part I remembered that was what he had said it was. Everytime I think about that tape, my boob hurts for you. Yep, it's still cancer, yep you still have to go down this road, but praise God, yep you are NOT alone. Love you much, Greta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy, This is Connie, your auntie Evelyn's friend and beautician. You are to be admired. Your blog is unbelievably informative, honest and inspiring. I'm pulling for you, girl. You WILL kick this cancer's bootie! No Doubt!!
    Keep writing, it's therapeutic, and we all want to keep up with your success. Hugs & Kisses....
    a new friend,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greta, Thank you! I could NOT remember what he said.

    Connie, thank you for the sweet comments. You're right about the writing. It is therapeutic. Give Evelyn a big hug for me!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete