"Let's kick cancer's booty and take some names."

LORD, after this suffering, let it be said that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, make my Savior clear to all those around me. Because of my suffering and willing perseverance, cause others to be encouraged to speak the Word of God more courageously and fearlessly.
(Phillippians 1:12-14)

About Me

God is walking with me. This I know.

Followers

Friday, May 14, 2010

Surgical Biopsy

Hey everybody! Hope everyone has had a great week!

Let me start by saying thank you to Scott for getting up early and taking me to the hospital and staying with me today, Ted and Greta (my brother and sister in law) for coming to the hospital and staying through the procedure, Momma and Daddy for bringing me supper and Angie, Eddie and Megen for the waaaayyy cool balloons you brought me. And thank you to everyone who prayed and had good thoughts for me today. And most of all Praise God for bringing me through the procedure with little pain.

I had my surgical biopsy today on Tumor #2. I got to the hospital at 6am and had some lab work done. Then about 7:30 they called me back to a room. I was hooked up to an IV and given a motion sickness patch that I was VERY thankful for after being pushed around 2 floors of the hospital in a wheel chair and then on a gurney!

I was taken to the Breast Center and had to have another mammogram. They took 2 pictures for reference. Once they were in the correct spot (again, this thing is tiny and deep in the tissue so it's a little difficult to find), the radiologist came in to explain the remainder of the procedure.

The mammogram paddle on the machine had a square hole in it, roughly 3" x 3". The hole was placed over the location of the tumor. It was painful. Ladies, if you've had a mammogram, you know how when they lower the paddle it is uncomfortable. But after a few seconds it is lifted. During a needle insertion, it doesn't lift for several minutes. Like I said.....painful.

After the paddle was placed in the correct location, I was thankful for a shot of lidocaine with epinephrine (numbing medication). It helped the pain a great deal. Once the lidocaine took effect, another hollow needle was inserted into the spot of the tumor.

After the first needle insertion, they took another picture. It needed to be adjusted slightly, so they took the needle out and reinserted it. They did this about 5 times. Once they were happy with the needle placement, they inserted a guide wire into the needle. A guide wire is what assists Dr. Cooper during surgery, showing him where the tumor is so that he knows the best place to make the incision. The guide wire is shaped like a check mark. The bent end goes through the end of the needle, into the breast and once it comes out the other end, the bent end pops open, therefore holding it in place. The needle is then removed, leaving the guide wire in place. A sticker was placed on the wire and my skin, to further hold it in place.

More mammogram pictures are taken with the guide wire in place.

It all may sound a bit confusing, but these ladies are good at what they do. And besides being uncomfortable, the procedure actually went very smooth. They explained everything they were doing and continuously asked me if I was doing ok. They were very compassionate.

Once all the pictures were taken and the guide wire was secured with gauze and tape, I was taken back to my room, then taken to pre-op. I met my "Pain Pusher". And yes, she was my best friend today. haha! Shortly thereafter, I was taken into the operating room. It always makes me a tad nervous when I see the operating room, but was out of it in no time. I was asked 2 questions and the next thing I remember is waking up in recovery. I was in recovery for about 45 minutes, then taken back to my room.

The nurse brought me Sprite and graham crackers. I never realized how much I like graham crackers. Could be that I hadn't eaten in 18 hours? I was also offered a pain pill:
Nurse Holly: Would you like a Percoset?
Me: Aaaabbbbsolutely......

I was in the room for another 2 hours or so, then was released.

I am now at home, watching Merlin (anybody else watch that on the SyFy Channel?) and am feeling good tonight. I have only taken 1 more pain pill since the one at the hospital, so I'd say that's pretty good.

Dr. Cooper told Scott, Ted and Greta that I came through great. He said he took the tumor out like a boiled egg and that when he got the results he would call me. Pathology has 72 hours to get the results to him, but they could get to him earlier. And they don't work on the weekends, so the earliest I'm expecting any information is Monday. I have an appointment scheduled to see him this coming Wednesday at noon, if I don't hear anything before then.

The incision is not stitched or stapled together. It is closed with Dermabond. Evidently it's kinda like a glue. Pretty cool.

The radiologist recommended that Dr. Cooper take a "generous" sample of tissue around the tumor, so right now, the area looks a little bit distorted and dented. I'm hoping that will go away. I will ask him about it when I talk to him if it doesn't get better.

I cannot express how much I appreciate your prayers, thoughts, cards, facebook messages, etc. I truly do not know how people go through this or any other "out-of-the-comfort-zone" circumstances without God, family and friends. I praise God for His goodness, love, and mercy, and for everyone of you.

I will keep everyone updated as soon as I hear anything else.

I'm hoping to go to the Cystic Fibrosis Great Strides walk tomorrow at the zoo in memory of Leigh Allyn Tucker. She was a beautiful young woman who was taken from this earthly life too soon for our liking, but is now in God's lap, with her head on His shoulder and praising His name. Please say a prayer for the Tucker family, that God will continue to give them peace and strength and that Leigh Allyn's life and death will continue to serve as a reminder of God's love, His timing, His sovereignty and mercy.

Hugs to all!! -

2 comments:

  1. Ted and I wouldn't have been any place else. I hope we didn't get on Scott's nerves to badly....lol. I thank God for your amazing spirit and depth of love, your a very special woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's awesome? You're awesome, Can-dance! Way to kick some cancer booty yesterday! I heart you.

    ReplyDelete