"Let's kick cancer's booty and take some names."

LORD, after this suffering, let it be said that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, make my Savior clear to all those around me. Because of my suffering and willing perseverance, cause others to be encouraged to speak the Word of God more courageously and fearlessly.
(Phillippians 1:12-14)

About Me

God is walking with me. This I know.

Followers

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Lumpectomy and Sentinel Node Biopsy

Yesterday I had my lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy.

I haven't talked to Dr. Cooper, but evidently he was able to take the tumor, which he said was a little smaller than he originally thought, and the node biopsy was negative. Praise God!

The surgery itself went fine. I'm still very sore and drowsy and a little dizzy this morning. I have 2 incisions: 1) where the lump was removed and 2) where the lymph nodes were tested up under my arm. That one is very sore and I have a feeling it will give me the most "trouble". The dermabond they use to close the incisions is very sticky and every time I lift my arm, it tugs a little. And yes, it's painful. Thank God for pain meds. :)

The node biopsy required an injection of isotopes (a radio active material) so that when Dr. Cooper went in, he could see the lymph nodes that would accept any drain off from the tumor. The theory is that cancer spreads in an orderly fashion, and therefore would be carried to other parts of the body via the lymph nodes. And since the lymph nodes were clear, that is evidence that the cancer was contained in the tumor and has not spread. The injection wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, but it was bad enough that I'd rather not do it again. It stings and burns and for a few seconds feels like someone is pressing very hard on you. But they give you Valium before the injection to help calm you. Dr. Beata Panzegrau (pronounded pan-ze-graw) did the injections. She's Polish and I love to hear her talk. ha! She was very gentle and kind and explained everything in great detail.

My next step is a follow up appointment with Dr. Cooper on Tuesday June 8th. He will go over the pathology report and then direct me to an oncologist to get my marching orders.

Scott and I were talking on the way home and wondered if, since the cancer has not spread, I would still have to have chemo. I think it depends on the type of cancer it is and the actual tumor size. I will know more once I see Dr. Cooper and the oncologist.

I will continue to keep everyone posted.

Thank you to everyone who has been praying, and for all the text messages, calls, cards, facebook messages and status announcements on my behalf. You are all very special to me and am so thankful for you all. I feel like Moses when Aaron and Hur held up his arms during the battle between the Israelites and the Amalekites. You all are holding my arms up and standing in the gap for me. And I will never be able to tell you how much it means to me.

MEMORIAL DAY:
As you celebrate this weekend, please keep our American servicemen and women in your prayers. I would especially like to thank those currently serving, including Kyle Oakley (my nephew) and Derrick Mumphrey (my niece's brother in law), as well as those who are retired, especially including my Daddy, Edwin Jenkins and my Uncle Bill and if I'm remembering correctly, my cousin Cressie was in the service for a few years (this was SEVERAL years ago, and my memory is a little foggy!). Thank you all so much for fighting for this country and our freedom.

A SPECIAL SHOUT OUT TO MY NEPHEW JAKE:
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR GRADUATION TODAY!!! I love you and we are so very proud of you. I'm sorry I can't make it to the actual ceremony today, but you are in my thoughts today.

Have a great and safe weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Candy- Sounds like things went as well as could be expected. I think about you often and hope the pain and "unpleasantness" of the surgeries is the most you will have to worry about. Keep us updated!--Jenny

    ReplyDelete