"Let's kick cancer's booty and take some names."

LORD, after this suffering, let it be said that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, make my Savior clear to all those around me. Because of my suffering and willing perseverance, cause others to be encouraged to speak the Word of God more courageously and fearlessly.
(Phillippians 1:12-14)

About Me

God is walking with me. This I know.

Followers

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Tumor #2 Good News!!

Tumor #2 came back benign. Praise God!!

Now we can focus on Tumor #1.
The tumor is located at the 12:00 location on the right side. I am scheduled for a lumpectomy on Friday May 28th at noon. I have to be at the hospital at 9:00am.

One small hitch could occur, but prayer will get us through it. Before this surgery, they will use isotopes to test the sentinel lymph nodes. This will determine if any cancer has spread to the lymph nodes. The hitch is that isotopes are in high demand right now. Why? I have no idea. It COULD delay the surgery if there are none available. Ashley (Dr. Cooper's nurse) said she has not had to cancel a surgery yet this month because of no isotopes, so we are praying that it doesn't happen to me either. So....pray for available isotopes! :)

Once the surgery begins, an incision will be made, the tumor will be removed. If the sentinel node test comes back positive, they will have to take a larger sample of the lymph nodes. If it comes back negative, then only the tumor will be removed. I will either get to come home that evening, or at most be in the hospital 1 night.

June 8th is my follow up visit. He will check my incision and go over the pathology results with me. Following that, I will schedule an appointment with an oncologist for further treatment.

Dr. Cooper said I will most likely have chemotherapy, then radiation, then start on tamoxifen, which is a drug that blocks the estrogen absorption (I think I'm explaining that correctly) which causes cancer cells to grow.

I'm expecting the treatments and entire process to last at least through the summer, and possibly up until Christmas. However, it will be gone in the blink of an eye and it's completely worth it to be cancer free.

I covet your continued prayers and am praising God today for no cancer in the 2nd tumor and no mastectomy. Thank you all so much for holding my hands and lifting me up in prayer.

5 comments:

  1. You seem to have a good grasp of what is going on. Glad you are having some good results. Of course, we will be with you all the way through all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why you have to have chemotherapy. I was told that radiation was all that was needed for a lumpectomy. I would double check about the chemo to make sure is necessary. I will soon get to call you my Tamoxifin buddy! Oh the stories we will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOOOOHOOOOO Happy Dance Happy Dance!!! I have prayed my heart out for you. Thank you Lord for answered prayers. Candy I love you and rejoice with you today. I will be with you on the 28th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, That is wonderful news, Im so happy for you and am thankful for a God that is bigger than any problems we face. I've been reading your blogs and wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everybody! I'm thrilled!

    Kim, Dr. Cooper said chemo is necessary based on the type cancer it is and if it has spread to the lymph nodes. Sometimes radiation is the only thing they do, but especially in pre-menopausal women, chemo ensures that all the cancer cells are killed, and decreases the chances of it returning. I'm more than willing to go through it, even as a precaution. I will know more when I meet with the oncologist. And I've been reading about the tamoxifin. I'm in for a treat. ha!

    And yes, Hazel, God IS bigger than any problem we face. Thank you for your prayers and well wishes!

    ReplyDelete