"Let's kick cancer's booty and take some names."

LORD, after this suffering, let it be said that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, make my Savior clear to all those around me. Because of my suffering and willing perseverance, cause others to be encouraged to speak the Word of God more courageously and fearlessly.
(Phillippians 1:12-14)

About Me

God is walking with me. This I know.

Followers

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

"Where did you come up with that?"

"And He sat upon the throne and said, 'Behold, I make all things new.' " Revelation 21:5

I thought I would address the question of where I came up with the blog name since I have no medical news to share this week.

Who likes new things? I do! I do! There's nothing like a new pair of shoes. My favorite Imelda Marcos quote is, "I did not have three thousand pairs of shoes; I had one thousand and sixty." Or how about a new purse, a new dress, or even a new bottle of shampoo or new eye liner? (Sorry guys...I can't relate to a new season of football or a new mower). There's just something about something new. But sometimes, the new is scary. You have to get used to it. You have to break in something new. A new pair of jeans isn't quite as comfortable as that old pair of jeans.

So when I found out about the cancer diagnosis, it was the scary new. A friend told me, "You will find a new normal." A new normal? I like the old normal. I'm comfortable with the old normal. No thank you. I wanna go back to the way things were. As I tried to put a screeching halt to the news (picture Fred Flintstone stopping his car with his feet) I realized I would have to get used to it and as my friend said, find a new normal.

I came across the above scripture and decided to look up the original text. Lifeway's website has a great online bible that has a KJV with Strong's translation, so I went there. Here's what I came across (for those of you who are Greek and Hebrew students......cough, cough, Mark Adams.....bear with me while I stumble through this):

1. "And He sat"---kathemai (pronounced kath'-ay-mahee): one meaning is to dwell or sit down. Don't you feel better when someone sits down with you? Especially when you're sitting all by yourself? God is sitting down with me. He is dwelling with me.

2. "I make"----poieo (poy-eh'-o): to commit, cause, bear, fulfill, perform, to make ready. And my favorite meaning: to make a thing out of something. Can God make a thing out of this something I've been dealt? Yes He can! By the way, "thing" in that sentence is actually pronounced "thang" if you're from the south!

3. "all things new"--kainos (kahee-nos'): recently made, fresh, unused, unworn, uncommon, unheard of. I made the comment last week that I was "worn out". How would you like to be "unworn"?

God IS making all things new.




2 comments:

  1. Look at you turning into a Greek scholar! Good post by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Thanks Mark! Glad y'all made it through the storms.

    ReplyDelete