"Let's kick cancer's booty and take some names."

LORD, after this suffering, let it be said that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, make my Savior clear to all those around me. Because of my suffering and willing perseverance, cause others to be encouraged to speak the Word of God more courageously and fearlessly.
(Phillippians 1:12-14)

About Me

God is walking with me. This I know.

Followers

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tumor #2 Biopsy Results Inconclusive

I remarked when this whole thing started that it would be muddy; stitched together and lumpy like an old quilt. I really hate that I was right about that.

I saw Dr. Cooper today and he explained that when a radiologist looks at a mammogram or ultrasound that is suspicious, they grade it. When they looked at mine, they gave it a grade 4, which is bad. However, when the biopsy results came back, it was negative for cancer.

This did not jive with Dr. Cooper. He spoke to the radiologist who performed the biopsy and she admitted that the tumor is very small and it was hard to locate on ultrasound. Once it was located, it was a little bit difficult to get a sample. (And seriously, it took about 3 hours. I was wishing they'd knocked me out for it!) He said he was not happy with the results and wanted to be absolutely certain about whether or not it's cancer. In his words, "if we don't know for sure and take the results we got today and move forward, the consequences could be bad." He said if he does a surgical biopsy, they will know without a doubt if it is cancer.

I am scheduled for an outpatient surgical biopsy on Friday, May 14th and have a follow up appointment to get the results on Wednesday, May 19th. Once the results are in, he will know which surgery to perform for tumor #1 and the surrounding tissue (lumpectomy or mastectomy). If tumor #2 is cancer, it is a condition called multi-focal which results in several cancers growing at the same time. It also means mastectomy.

So....for the next 2 weeks I have no doctor's appointments, no biopsies, no mammograms, no ultrasounds, and most importantly to me, no getting stuck with a needle! Yippee!!

Thank you for your continued prayers. And please keep 'em comin'! This was never the path I pictured myself walking. It definitely isn't my preference. But it is the path I have been given to walk and I feel God's presence with me. I am determined to choose to walk it with a joy that is continuous and defiant; a joy that defies it's circumstances. Your prayers and cards and kind words keep me going in that direction.

Have a great day everybody!

2 comments:

  1. Candy, I am a close friend of your aune Evelyn's. Just wanted you to know you are also in my prayers. What a brave young woman you are!! I will pray for your complete healing. We have another young woman (@34 yrs old)who last year had a double mastectomy and she has been aspiring to us as well. Here is her email address. "Hazel Carmona" ,
    She is a bright, cheery single mom, and she'd love to hear from you, I'm sure. Keep your chin up, your knees to the floor, and know that God sees around the corners we can't. I'm sure there is a rainbow ahead for you. with hope & best wishes, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy, I read your blog, You are an amazing lady!! I also know your Aunt Evelyn, and the lady who posted the above comment. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in May of 2007, I did also have a tumor that spread to my lymph nodes. That was pretty scary, But the same God who created us, won't give us more than we can handle.. Psalms 31:24 says, "Be of good courage,and he shall strengthen your heart,all ye that hope in the Lord.
    By reading your story, It looks like you already have your faith in the one who controls it all!!
    God knows where you are, so keep praying!!!
    I wish you all the best, I will pray for you... Hazel

    ReplyDelete