"Let's kick cancer's booty and take some names."

LORD, after this suffering, let it be said that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, make my Savior clear to all those around me. Because of my suffering and willing perseverance, cause others to be encouraged to speak the Word of God more courageously and fearlessly.
(Phillippians 1:12-14)

About Me

God is walking with me. This I know.

Followers

Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Day My Life Turned Pink

It's not that I hate the color pink. It's just that it's not a good color for red-heads. It clashes with our freckles. So when I found out I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I sighed. That is, after I cried. A lot. Monday, April 12th was the day my doctor told me I had cancer. And everything changed.

I decided to start this blog to let everyone know what is going on in my world. Those who want to know, anyway. I think there's a lot of over-sharing on Facebook, so this is a place where I can get all my thoughts on "paper" and those who want to know my progress can come here. But since I really don't like the color pink, I decided my blog would be one of my favorite colors: brown.

Cancer used to be about death. And it was all pink. But today is new. Steven Curtis Chapman's song All Things New says, "You make all things new. You redeem and You transform, You renew and restore. You make all things new." A breast cancer diagnosis no longer means death. And it doesn't all have to be pink.

But whatever color it is, it can be about healing and life and the love of family and friends.

I am so grateful for all the prayers and good thoughts and hugs and cards and Facebook messages I have received. It has truly lifted my spirits in a time when they could be on the floor, curled up in the corner somewhere.

God is good. All the time. And He is walking through this with me.

My doctor said, "You're going to be the 2nd person to worry about you, and I'm going to be the 1st. And I'm not worried." And as my friend, Tammy, observed, it sounded like something God would say.

And now....as another friend, Angie Bowman, put it, "Let's kick cancer's booty and take some names."

No comments:

Post a Comment